We achieved Green Flag Status in February 2015. We had a number of criteria to fulfil which included evidence to show that we have addressed the nine areas shown below.
These nine areas are covered in our curriculum:
We also needed to have
- an Environmental Review – this is formal review of the nine topics which is completed by members of staff but more importantly by the Pupil Council on behalf of the children at Whitley Lodge First School
- an action plan – this is based on the findings of the Environmental Review.
- an Eco-Code – this was developed by the children of Whitley Lodge.
- an Eco-Schools notice board
- a green procurement policy – which is an environmental friendly policy dedicated to helping to look after our planet.
Pupils have been provided with a range of opportunities to broaden their experience and knowledge of sustainability. The impact of this is evidenced in pupils increased understanding of sustainability issues.
As a result of regular input from our eco monitors and pupil councillors, pupils are aware of the impact of global poverty and the reasons that we recycle and save water and electricity.
Sustainability is an integral part of the curriculum at Whitley Lodge First School. We intend to maintain our Green Flag Status which will be reviewed in May 2017.